Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

The Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies II (Vegan)

I made my favourite cookies again last night, but I was out of all-purpose flour and aquafaba. I didn't want to open a can of chickpeas just to get 3 tablespoons of aquafaba, so I tried the recipe with a flax egg.

I managed to come up with a cup of flour by scraping the bottom of a few jars. Now I'm also out of whole wheat pastry flour and oat flour. Luckily I still had a bit of spelt flour. Anyway, the combination was equally as delicious as the original recipe, plus, oat and spelt flours are a bit better for you than all-purpose flour.

The cookies were still chewy and crispy, they just looked slightly different. 



Above: The raisin cookies were slightly puffier than usual.

The Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies II (Vegan)
Makes 16 cookies

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon ground flax
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 1/2 cup vegan butter, room temperature (I used organic Earth Balance)
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ cup oat flour
  • ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • ½ cup + 2 tablespoons spelt flour
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (vegan if it matters to you) or raisins
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. In a small bowl, mix the flax and water to make a flax egg. Let the mixture sit while you beat the butter.
  3. In a medium bowl, beat the butter and sugars with a whisk for a few minutes until creamy. You could also use a wooden spoon if it's easier for you.
  4. Beat in the baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla and flax egg until well combined.
  5. Mix in the flours with a spoon or spatula, followed by the chocolate chips or raisins. You could also add nuts at this point if you wish.
  6. Using a small cookie scoop, drop the batter about 2" apart onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
  7. Bake for 8-10  minutes or until the edges start to turn golden. You don't want to burn them so watch them carefully. Let them sit on the sheet for a minute or two until they're firm enough to transfer to a wire rack. I just use my egg flipper so they don’t fall apart during the transfer.
  8. Store them on a covered plate or in a container with a lid. 

Comments

Popular Posts