Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Mu Shu Chicken Lettuce Wraps

I saw this recipe pop up on my news feed on Facebook the other day, and thought it looked pretty tasty. So I went out and picked up a few things so I could make it. I didn’t bother buying sherry, because it’s not something I would use often, and it seemed like a waste. Instead, I Googled sherry substitutes. Someone suggested using a combination of vinegar, sugar and lemon juice, so that’s what I did. I mixed 1 ½ teaspoons white vinegar + 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice + ½ teaspoon of sugar.

This recipe is very easy. The post said it should take 20 minutes to make. I didn’t time it, but it went together pretty fast. I cooked my own chicken though, so that took a little extra time, but if you use left-over or store-bought rotisserie chicken, you will definitely get this done in 20 minutes or less.


Mu Shu Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Makes 4 Servings

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon dry sherry (or dry white wine / other substitute)
  • 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
  • 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon grated garlic
  • 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
  • 1 package coleslaw mix (14oz - 4 cups)
  • 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (skinless)
  • 1 bunch (about 1/2 cup) sliced green onions, divided
  • 12 lettuce leaves (I used iceberg, but anything you can roll will work)
  • ¼ cup chopped cashews
Directions
  1. In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, sherry (or sub 1 ½ teaspoons white vinegar + 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice + ½ teaspoon of sugar), hoisin sauce and vinegar. Set aside.
  2. In a large pan, heat the sesame oil over medium heat for a minute. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for about 30 seconds.
  3. Add coleslaw and sauce mixture and cook for one minute, stirring frequently. Then, stir in the chicken and ½ of the sliced onions. Cook for another minute until the cabbage starts to wilt a bit.
  4. Divide the mixture among the lettuce leaves and top with remaining onions and cashews.
  5. If you want to bring some to work the next day, keep the chicken in a separate container so you can heat it up. Bring the other stuff on the side.

Comments

Popular Posts