Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Cranberry Breakfast Cake

I decided to make this Cranberry Breakfast Cake because I felt like having cake. That's a good reason, right? This recipe was super easy, and I made it 3 times in one week.

I always have cranberries in the freezer because you just never know when you’ll need some. There’s no reason why you can’t have cranberry sauce with your chicken all year long, is there? This recipe calls for fresh, but mine were still frozen and they worked out perfectly.

I used a loaf pan the first time, and a round pan the second and third time. The second time, I cut the recipe in half and it took about 10 minutes less to cook, but then I had to make another cake the next day because we wanted more.

I didn't have any turbinado sugar left, so I just used regular granulated sugar and it was fine. It adds a little crunch to the top. The second and third time I chopped up some almonds and sprinkled them on top before baking. Nuts are optional of course, but they add a nice roasted flavour and we like them.






Cranberry Breakfast Cake
From A Spoonful of Thyme
Makes 10 slices

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 cup all purpose flour 
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 heaping cup of fresh cranberries
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (turbinado if you have it)
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a loaf pan (or round pan) and set aside. I also lined mine with parchment.
  2. In a bowl, mix the melted butter and sugar with a wooden spoon. It won't take long. 30 seconds will do.
  3. Beat in the eggs and extract until creamy. Another minute here.
  4. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt just until combined, then gently fold in the cranberries.
  5. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the remaining sugar. The batter was very thick, you can just use a spoon to push it evenly into the pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes depending on your pan. Use a toothpick to test at 30 minutes.
  6. Let the cake cool completely before cutting.

Comments

  1. Now that looks like my kind of breakfast!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You cant go wrong with cake for breakfast - this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I have two bags of cranberries in my freezer just waiting to be used. This would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved that you tried both a loaf and a cake pan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, that looks so delicious! I don't have cranberries right now, but I bet I could make it with strawberries... hmm... I mean... cake for breakfast! Awesome!
    Also, I had your blog this month and I LOVED it. I made your mini chocoalte cinnamon donuts for the reveal, but want to make so many more of your recipes. And I made your flax crackers for my husband who is on a low-carb diet, so I have to thank you for that recipe, as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy you had my blog and liked the cranberry cake! I had to laugh as I made it three times also in a very short window of time....I too added almonds to the top and enjoyed the crunch!!! Great minds work together! Thank you for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make something a lot like this with blueberries, but cranberries sounds really good! I am kind of a cranberry addict.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet these would be great with blueberries too. Yum yum I have some of those in the freezer. All these SRC recipes are making me hungry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks beautiful. Cranberries are such an under used ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cranberry anything and always have cranberries in the freezer, too. This looks so good - no wonder you made it so many times!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would go great with a yummy cup of coffee. Perfect breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like a fantastic cake. I've never had a cranberry cake before but it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cake for breakfast! I love it. Thanks for sharing with the SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds delicious and is just the way to use up leftover cranberries in the freezer from the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was wondering where you got those cranberries this time of year! I always say I need to freeze some, and then I never get around to it! Looks wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now I know what to do with those extra bags of frozen cranberries - make this cake... immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This inspires me to look this yummy recipes. Thanks for this food guide.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts