Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Quick Pickled Beans

I added some tarragon to the recipe because tarragon is really nice with pickles, and the beans I used are the skinny french beans (purchased in a 2 lb bag from Costco).

My pickling spice mix has many different things in it including bay leaves and cloves. The flavour of pickling spice is unique. Your pickles won't taste anything like a jar of dill pickles that you'd buy at the store.

And finally, the jar I used was one that I saved from a store bought spaghetti sauce. It was 700ml (about 24oz). I used enough beans to fill the jar. I'm guessing almost a pound of beans because it was almost half the bag.




Quick Pickled Beans
Adapted from Thru the Bugs on My Windsheild
Makes 1 Jar (or 2 smaller ones)

Ingredients
  • 1 lb skinny green beans, trimmed
  • 1 garlic clove, smashed or sliced
  • 1 dried red chili (or 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes)
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 3/4 cup cold water
  • 1 heaping teaspoon pickling spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
  • 1 teaspoon dried dill
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
Directions
  1. Place the beans, garlic clove and chili into a clean glass jar.
  2. In a small pot over medium heat, bring the rest of the ingredients up to a boil.
  3. Pour the mixture into the jar and put the lid on. Turn the jar upside down a few times.
  4. Refrigerate for about 4 days before eating. Suzanne says they'll be good for a month in the fridge, but will they last that long? Probably not!

Comments

  1. Every time I see a jar of pickled beans, I think about making them at home. Thanks for this SRC choice and sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home-pickled vegetables are such a treat, packing a big flavor punch for very little effort. Great SRC choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts