Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Kool-Aid Party Popcorn

My daughter's 3rd birthday party is today. I made this popcorn last night and it's still perfectly crunchy today. It's really easy to make too. You can buy ready popped popcorn or make your own, and you can choose any flavour/colour of Kool-Aid you like.

Our party has a strawberry theme, but the store I was shopping at didn't have strawberry Kool-Aid, so I chose cherry instead. If I couldn't get the flavour right, at least it was going to be the right colour.





Kool-Aid Party Popcorn

Adapted from Tasty Kitchen
Makes 12 cups

Ingredients

  • 12 cups popped popcorn
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup golden corn syrup
  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter 
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 packet Kool-Aid (your choice)
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 225F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
  2. In a medium non-stick pot, heat the sugar, syrup and butter over medium heat and cook for about 3 minutes. The sugar will melt and it will start to bubble. I couldn't take pictures of the process because I was alone and it came together so fast, there was no time.
  3. While the sugar is bubbling, mix the baking soda and Kool-Aid together.
  4. Remove the pot from the heat and stir the Kool-Aid mixture into the sugar mixture with a wooden spoon. It'll start looking fluffy and expand a bit so make sure your pot has room for this.
  5. Pour the hot mixture over the popcorn and stir it up. Coat it the best you can, then divide the popcorn among the 2 baking sheets. Spread it out a bit.
  6. Put the popcorn in the oven for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
  7. Remove the popcorn from the oven and let it cool for about 10 or 15 minutes. At that point it shouldn't be hot and should break apart easily. Store it in an airtight container.
  8. I put mine in the little buckets that I'm serving it in at the party, and put the buckets in bags which I tied in a knot at the top.
Update on April 22, 2020 : I can't seem to find Kool-Aid packets except for online now. If you're going to make this - you may have to order your packets in advance. How sad. I feel like part of my childhood has disappeared from the store shelves. 

Comments

Popular Posts