Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Soup

I had one chicken breast left in the fridge that I needed to use up. But what can you do with just one breast? Then I remembered I also still had a lot of mushrooms left. When you don't know what else to do, make soup!

It’s been awhile since I made soup, and my kids like it. I like to put dried thyme in my creamy soups. It adds a really nice flavour, but be careful not to add too much or that’s all you’ll taste.



Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Soup
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
  • 1 teaspoon oil
  • 3 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
  • ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper
  • ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste depending on your broth)
  • 2 cups low (or no) sodium chicken broth
  • ¼ cup brown rice, uncooked
  • 1 ½ cups 2% milk
  • ¼ cup flour
  • ½ cup sour cream
  • 1 8oz chicken breast, cooked and diced
Directions
  1. In a nonstick pot, fry the mushrooms and onions in oil over medium heat until they turn golden. About 5 minutes or so. If the pan gets dry, add a splash of broth (or more oil if you’re not concerned about the amount you’re using).
  2. Stir in the bay leaf and spices followed by the broth. Add the uncooked rice and simmer on medium low for about 15 minutes or until the rice is tender. Watch it and add more broth if needed.
  3. Once the rice is tender, stir in the milk. Mix the flour and sour cream in a bowl until smooth, then drizzle into the soup while stirring. Bring this up to a simmer and let it cook for a few minutes to thicken. Stir in the chicken and allow to heat through.

Comments

Popular Posts