Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Marbleized Crayons - Gift Idea

Occasionally I like to post fun ideas for kids.

This time I was looking for something easy to make for my girls to take to daycare for their friends. I found this idea online of course.

You can use any silicone mould you like - they come in various shapes. I happened to have mini muffin silicone moulds already and I wasn't using them for muffins so they worked out perfectly for this project. Apparently this also works with mini metal cake moulds but I haven't tried that.





This is also a great way to use up broken crayons. I used new ones though. You can use any brand you like. The first night I had 5 boxes of 24 crayons (the Wal-Mart brand). If you do the math, that totals 120 crayons. Each mold took 2 1/2 crayons so I ended up with 48 crayons. The second night I used a combination of Disney crayons and Crayola. The Crayola were the hardest to peel (without a blade). Their paper is like construction paper and rips too easily but not in a good way.







Also, when you go to restaurants, bring home the crayons that they give the kids and start a collection. When you have enough, break them up and make these! The restaurant will only throw them away anyway.


Marbleised (
Marbleized) Crayons - Gift Idea

What you need
  • Silicone moulds
  • Crayons
  • Sharp blade
Procedure
  1. Preheat the oven to 225F.
  2. Remove the paper from the crayons. I sliced a line from top to bottom with a blade. It was 100 times easier but be careful!! The blade is very sharp, if you're working too fast or not paying attention you might slice your finger off! Or you could just peel them but it takes much longer.
  3. Break the crayons into pieces. I was able to break mine into 4 or 5 pieces. 
  4. Place the broken pieces into the moulds filling them at least half way up. Try not to have any crayons hanging over the edge, you don't want them dripping over when they melt. You can match colours or get totally wacky.
  5. Bake the crayons for about 15 minutes or until they're completely melted. Remove them from the oven. You can put them in the freezer if you have room but it's really cold here right now (since it's winter and all) so I put mine outside and they were hard in less than 10 minutes.
  6. Pop them out of the mould and repeat the process until all the crayons are used up.
Check these out. I got the idea from these blogs.
My Favorite Finds
Elle's Studio
Making Memories
The Pumpkin Patch

Comments

  1. I cannot imagine that mine is the first comment about this awesome gift idea....I MUST try them. THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts