Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Low Carb Parmesan Flax Crackers

The texture of this cracker may not be pleasing to everyone, but when you’re living a low carb lifestyle, even a cracker made from flax can be exciting!

They are crisp and almost a sandy texture. I made these yesterday and brought them to work today. My friend Nathalie is on Atkins and another girl is on Dr. Poon. Both low carbers. Anyway, they were also pleased with the results of this cracker. Another girl who sits in the cubicle across from me didn't seem too fond of it (even though she didn't say anything). I saw her lonely little cracker sitting on her desk 3 hours after I offered it to her, with the corner nibbled off. When she returned from her lunch I guess she tossed it because it went missing when I went to use her kettle to boil water for my tea. I had a good laugh!

They are good on their own but they are excellent with cheese or dip. You could crush them to use as a coating for meats or you could bake the dough in a circle and use it as a pizza crust. You can roll them as thin as you like, just remember to adjust the cooking time accordingly. You have to be careful, because of their dark colour it’s harder to tell when they’re starting to burn.

Next time, I’m going to make them with sesame seeds in the mix. I used the Magic Bullet to grind my Parmesan so it was fine. You can also grind your own flax seeds. A scant 3/4 cup of flax seed should get you enough ground flax to make this recipe. You can also use any combination of spices you like. I may also try it with finely grated cheddar cheese in the mix at some point.

All cut up and ready to go in the oven. They don't have to be perfect.
You can cut squares or triangles. It's up to you.

I snacked on them in the afternoon with some cheddar. Yum!
They were also good with cream cheese.


Low Carb Parmesan Flax Crackers
Original recipe from verywellfit

Ingredients
  • 1 cup ground flax
  • 2 tablespoons flax seeds
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
  • 1/2 cup cold water
Directions
  1. Preheat your oven to 350F.
  2. Mix all the ingredients together to get a soft dough. Use your hands to for a rectangle then place it on a piece of parchment paper.
  3. Cover with another piece of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough to about 1/8”. It doesn’t have to be a perfect rectangle. Try not to get the edges too thin or they will burn.
  4. Remove the top layer of parchment then transfer the second piece with the dough on it onto a baking sheet.
  5. Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut squares.
  6. Bake for a total of about 1 hour (depending on thickness). Check on them after 40 minutes and if the end pieces are crisp, remove them from the oven. They’ll snap right off at the lines you cut earlier. Continue to cook the rest until they are crisp, removing the edge pieces as necessary to prevent burning. The middle will take longer. Store in an airtight container.
Tips:
  • The original recipe said to bake them at 400F for about 18 minutes. You can give it a try but I don’t know how they’ll turn out as I read some reviews and they suggested lowering the heat. I also didn’t spray the parchment as suggested, it really wasn’t necessary. The crackers came right off without a problem.

Comments

  1. This looks really yummy. You're right, flax meal crackers might not seem too appealing to one not adhering to a low carb lifestyle, but it sounds like a saving grace to those of us who are. I want to cook these pretty badly, but don't have parchment. Would you even recommend cooking them on a well greased pan? Or would they just stick way too bad? I'll probably just wait 'till I can grab some parchment from the store. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could try it but I couldn't say for sure that it wouldn't stick. Maybe you could make half a batch and give it a try. That way if it does stick at least you only wasted half the ingredients. =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts