Skip to main content

Featured

Maple Pecan Blondies

Here’s a blondie recipe that I have made many times!  Mine are never as gooey as Gemma’s and that’s probably because I over-bake them. I should keep a better eye on them next time. I like to brown the butter first but it’s not necessary. Enjoy!  Maple Pecan Blondies Makes 9-12 servings Original recipe from Bigger Bolder Baking Ingredients ¾ cup butter, melted or browned 1¼ cups dark brown sugar ½ cup maple syrup 1 large egg  2 teaspoons vanilla 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda I ¼ cups pecans, toasted and chopped  Directions   Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9x13” baking pan with parchment. Gemma used 8x8 but I like my bars thinner. Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.  Stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. They middle should be slightly jiggly but they still taste yummy if you over-bake them. Allow to co

Madras Sambal - Indian Lentil, Potato and Green Beans

This was very tasty. It was my first time making (and eating) this so I'm not sure if the dish was supposed to be as dry as it turned out. I served it with plain yogurt and it turned out to be the perfect (and easy) condiment.

The recipe called for curry leaves but I didn't have any, so I used curry powder. I also didn't have any coconut (I must have used it up on cookies) but I bet that would have been a delicious garnish!

Here are the spices. You can see the fenugreek seeds on the top left. They're very bitter. I know this because I ate one raw. You can find them at speciality stores or at the bulk store in the spice section.

The finished dish.

Madras Sambal - Indian Lentil, Potato and Green Beans
Adapted from Best Ever Indian Cookbook
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
  • 1 cup red split lentils
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 2 large potatoes, diced
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder (mild or hot)
  • 1 onion thinly sliced
  • 2 cups green beans cut into 1" pieces
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions
  1. Rinse the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear. Place the lentils, water and turmeric in a pot and boil for 20 minutes or until lentils are tender. In the meantime, boil the potatoes just until tender. Drain both.
  2. In a large pan, fry the seeds and curry over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the onion and green beans and cook for another 7 minutes. Add the drained potatoes and cook for another 2 minutes. Stir in the lentils, salt, chili powder and lemon juice. Cook just to heat through. 
  3. Serve with plain yogurt.

Comments

Popular Posts